Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Bird Poop and other Omens

I gave myself one shot at doing Tongariro Alpine Crossing. I stumbled off a bus in Turangi at 2am, hopped on another one at 7am to the drop off point for the hike. The weather here is so unpredictable and on the crossing it can be so horrendous such that the park will not allow people to attempt it. For the past three days they have not allowed anyone up the mountain, so I knew the day I was scheduled to come here might be a longshot. A bird pooped on me, all over my jacket, daypack and waiststrap the morning of the hike. The sun was shining. This was yet another stunning, 20 km day hike through a volcanic park, said to be NZ's best day hike. I don't disagree.


Sweaty, windy, cold.

Red Crater, or chocolate fudge spewing over red velvet cake?





Emerald Lakes


Kyle, a former Wolverine and marching band member. I met him on the Milford Track and rather randomly ran into him at the top of the crossing.


Time to go home now.




2 comments:

brad said...

no way! you're not aloud to go home yet! I need more sweet photos!

Looks like you've had an amazing trip.

When are you flying back to the states?

Audrey said...

unfortunately, yes way. I just got back to chicago. I fell asleep and when I awoke I literally had no idea where I was, it was strange...